I’m going to be honest here and say what most people are thinking: oatmeal really isn’t very good. Sure, it’s healthy and is good for your body, but it’s pretty flavorless and always seems to have an odd gummy consistency. Despite these strikes against it, I’ve somehow convinced myself that it’s a good choice for a nutritious breakfast (with sugar, cinnamon, nuts, and fruit to give it some taste) and continue to eat it on a fairly regular basis.
This recipe for Baked Oatmeal, though, is a sure-fire way to make an oatmeal that is not only edible, but is actually really tasty.
Adapted from my friend Gabby’s blog:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Raisins (to taste for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all ingredients together
- Spread evenly in a 9×13 baking dish, and bake for approximately 40 minutes
- Serve with raisins and milk
- Note: The dish on its own is somewhat dry, but is meant to be served with 1/4-1/2 cup of milk. I prefer soy or vanilla soy, but this is obviously to taste.