I don’t like syrup. It doesn’t matter if it’s Aunt Jemima or the real maple kind. It’s too sugary and makes everything soggy. I’d rather eat my pancakes or waffles dry than top them with the stuff.
That said, unless you are using special flavors (banana walnut, pumpkin, etc) for every occasion, sometimes it’s hard to eat topping-less pancakes. I’m a sucker for peanut butter on just about anything, but it occurred to me that surely there are other great ways to dress up a short stack or a Belgian waffle. Here are some ideas:
- Cottage cheese
- Sour cream and caviar (a little taste of Russia)
- Hot fudge/chocolate sauce
- Grand Marnier
- Powdered sugar
- Fruit compote
- Chopped fruit–maybe grilled, sauteed or baked?
- Ice cream/whipped cream/sprinkles
- Bacon (it’s good on donuts, why not pancakes?)
- Pie filling
- Chopped nuts
- Savory stuff, like salsa or vegetables
- Plain ol’ buttah
Do you ever experiment with pancake/waffle toppings? What’s your favorite combo? Or do you just stick with syrup?